Look Over a Creative Resident’s Shoulder
I only have a few months left of my Creative Residency at Adobe. One of my major objectives while a resident has been to launch Chipper Things, a product line with my illustrations. I feel like I’m going a million miles an hour these days, but I’m also getting a million things done, and Chipper Things is getting closer to being a reality. Here’s a peek into my process and my unfinished files.
1. Pin game. I’m jumping on the enamel pin bandwagon. At first I resisted because I didn’t know what I could contribute that was unique, but then I recently acquired my first two pins and once I put them on my denim jacket, I says to myself, “Yes! I finally get it now!” I put these sketches on Instagram to discover the crowd favorite. My gut was right: Girls gone mild it is!
2. Palms! I made these designs for potential notebooks. I’m not sure if I’m going to launch that project, but I really like how they turned out. If not notebook covers, these pups will be used for something.
3. Hug. At first I made a card that was similar but said, "Birthday Hug." I liked it enough, but then a few weeks ago, I talked to my brother on the phone and he was having a bad day. I just wanted give him a hug but he lives a thousand miles away. And so HUG was born. I hope it makes sense as a standalone card. I will find out soon.
4. Patterns on Patterns. Seeing my studio walls covered with process art made me realize that a lot of what I'm making is lettering-based, which is good and all, BUT I CALL MYSELF AN ILLUSTRATOR. These patterns were originally for another project but I think I might use them for blank cards, notebooks or maybe a tote. They will not go to waste.
5. Cute kids. My husband and I do not have kids. But if we did have kids, I would want Greg to know that their cuteness is because of him. This was inspired by the Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty song, “You’re the Reason Our Kids are Ugly.”
6. Congrats on Another Year Around the Sun. I say this all the time to friends on their birthdays. Sometimes I think going to Iowa (my home state) is a big trip because you have to wake up at 4 AM to catch the 6 AM flight, and then there is always a layover, but that is nothing compared to a year-long trip around the sun.
7. Monster Gal, aka Feminist Monster (this is a compliment to monsters). Still figuring out what to do with her... Art print? Tote? For adults or kids? I really like her. I dragged in the art next to it from Pinterest to help me find a good color palette. Still working on that, too.
8. Logo time: Clearly still a work in progress...
8. The perfect old couple. No explanation necessary.
I'd love to know what you all think of all this (or what you've seen on Instagram, my blog, or website). What kinds of products or themes do you want to see more of? Please let me know in the Comments section below.
And if you want to hear from me after my residency ends, you can sign up for my newsletter, where some of the above information first appeared.
February 29, 2016